10th 2005f October, 2005
what you will need
- conductive thread
(You can purchase spun stainless steel thread from Lame Lifesaver. Check out my materials link page for more information on conductive threads.)
- surface mount LEDs, as many as you want to include in your display
(I used a super intensity red LED from digikey. part #: 67-1695-1-ND )
- a microcontroller of your choice.
(Chose one with an internal oscillator. I used the AVRmega16. digikey part #: ATMEGA16L-8PC-ND)
- an IC socket for your microcontroller.
(You want be able to sew through the socket’s holes after minimal modifications. For a 40 pin micorcontroller, digikey part #: A9440-ND will work after you drill out the holes. I found the perfect socket, one that required no drilling, browsing my local electroics store, so try that first.)
- a battery and holder.
(I used a standard 6 volt camera battery. part#: A544.
You can purchase the holder for this battery from digikey part #: 108KK-ND)
- an on/off switch
(Check out these slide switches and toggle switches from digikey.)
- a 30 watt soldering iron and lead-free solder
(You’re going to wear this so keep health hazards like lead in mind!)
- a multimeter
- a T-square or a ruler
- an assortment of silver and brass crimping beads, at least twice as many as you have LEDs
(These are available from your local bead shop, or from Michaels)
- a garment or a piece of fabric and a pattern you can use to make your own garment.
- a needle or two, a fabric marker, and a bottle of fabric glue
(Needles, fabric markers, and Liquid Stitch, Sew-No-More, and similar products are available at your local fabric shop or Joann Stores)
- a pair of scissors
- a sewing machine
Some of the supplies you’ll need.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Host your project
Earn up to $60/â‚¬50 by submitting your project! We host and promote your project without any costs and you get all the credit!
Write for Grynx:
Do you have what it takes? If you're the right person then email
Website promotion SEO
Help us continue our work with a donation
10 queries. 0.169 seconds
print_pg_navigation() ?> Home